Monday, August 23, 2010

Where do the weekends go...

And the weeks for that matter! It has been a full week since my last post yet again! I really do promise to TRY to do better!

Every now and then I get these bursts of energy to do a "project" around the house. I guess I feel like it is my way of being creative and expressing myself. Some people get to do this in their jobs daily, and while I love my job,I wouldn't really considering me being creative as a description. So I often come up with a great idea which leads to others, then leads to others and so on. And I will admit, sometimes I can't even remember why I started the whole thing in the first place!
So here is the 1st thing I was up to this weekend: (which lead to others that I will post about soon!)

1. Small Redo for Master Bedroom
Here was the room after we 1st moved in:


And before I got my hands on it this past weekend:
(not much different, just changed the photos over the bed)

And now with the headboard:

I know.... nothing is dramatically different but I just have to change things up a bit from time to time. And I LOVE just the clean, simple look.  I still want to paint but am just not ready for that task yet.

Breakdown of how to build headboard:

1) Determine how big you will need it. I just measured the width of the bed and kind of estimated where I would want it to hit on the wall. I ended up buying 2 54" 2x2s and 2 36" 2x2s. Which made the head board 40" high and 54" wide.
I chose just to do a frame because I was just going to be covering it with fabric. You can also use plywood or a pegboard but it would make it significantly heavier. I just wanted to be able to hang on the wall and not worry with screwing into the bed frame or wall.


Oh and by the way... the handy dandy workers at Home Depot cut the boards for me...
"I can do it, they can help!" :-)

2) Secure all the corners together with brackets.

(Bella was very curious as to what in the world I was doing)

3) Once frame is secure, it is time to wrap your materials around it. I used some quit batting from Hobby Lobby for some padding.
Laid it out on the floor, cut to size and
then laid the frame on top of it.


Now here is where my blogging skills need to be polished up... continue the picture taking while doing a project you plan on blogging about! :-)

4) Stable the batting to the frame and repeat the process with your fabric.

5) I chose wall hangers to hand the frame onto the wall with and it was done!

Again sorry for the lack of photos at the end. I am not going to lie, I got a bit frustrated with some things so the picture taking went out the window!

Cost Breakdown:
Wood  & Hanging Supplies at Home Depot - $ 13.00
Quit Batting (using 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby) - $11.00
Fabric from scrap bin at King Cotton - $7.00 (and I still have a ton left!)
Total - $31.00 for a new fabric headboard!

Compared to this:

  For $474.00 on Sale at Ballard Designs! Now, don't get me wrong I love the corners on this but if it was between saving $443 and having fancy dancy corners... I choose the $443!

Other small changes around the room:

New framed photos

New $7 a panel curtains from Target and other accessories from around the house.

And and most importantly... the "POP" of the zebra pillow made by yours truly...

Which I hope to do a post on pillow making later this week!

I do have one disclaimer. While many of my ideas do come from straight out of my head, I also have lots of inspiration from other blogs and decorpad.com.  This is the photo that was behind my mini makeover:

(photo from somewhere on decorpad.com )

Some elements are different, like the curtains for example. I went dark while they have white but that was mainly because the walls haven't been painted yet. I plan on choosing a color very similar to this and when I do I will also probably get some white panels.

But overall I love the outcome of my weekend redo and
wish I was snoozing in there right now!
Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so impressed MK! The bedroom looks great! :)

This Little Nest said...

Love the headboard! And the zebra! I almost got a little zebra pillow or our living room the other day but chickened out. You've inspired me to go back and get it! :)

The Baker Family said...

Katie- you should just make one. The fabric came from Hobby Lobby! 30% off! :-)